Saturday, March 14, 2015

It's Not a Dream

Hello Friends.

These are the mountains that I LOVE to hike through and backpack and camp.  Since I was a young pup I have been doing that with my MOM almost on a weekly bases.  As you know for the last several months I really am unable to do it, do to age and muscle loss, and joint problems.  And as you know it has made me very sad.  Oh don't get me wrong I am enjoying this new phase in my life, butt I do long for the trail and hiking adventure.  Well friends I thought I was dreaming when MOM and I loaded up in the Subaru and headed for a favorite hiking spot.  Thanks to KB's advise, Shyla and R's momma, we found a way for me to still enjoy the mountains I love.

You are seeing right friends, that is me starting out on an adventure, all be it at a much slower pace.

Even thought it is slower I still lead the way.

"Come on MOM adventure awaits just up the river."

Sure I can't splash and romp though the waters like before, butt just standing out here is miracle.

And what is this I've found?

A STICK in need of rescue!

And snow!  That's a happy smile on my face.

Normally MOM and I would cross this river and go sit on that big rock.  Butt instead we sat here on the other side to take a break and rest and we marveled at the beauty of it all.

Then it was back to walking along the river.

Ooooooo a STICK!  MOM said it was a log, butt hey, I don't discriminate, stick/log it's all the same to me.  However MOM thought it best I leave this one be, as it was big and in a deep part of the river.  She was concerned about me.  Well as they say mom's know best.  So I did as she asked and left it.

It was a hard thing to do, butt I am sure it will be OK.

We took another break and rest in the shade of this tree.

Those brakes really helped to keep me going.

Going to where you ask?

To a special spot for me and MOM, and as fate would have it there were some submerged sticks in desperate need.  What you may not be able to see is between me and those two sticks is a drop off.  Again MOM said I could not go get the sticks.  So I stood there and whined a little.  You know what a little whining gets you?  A MOM who waded out in to the cold river to get the sticks for me.

Believe me there were plenty of sticks on dry ground that needed a little help.

Normally MOM and I would hike to the top of that big rock.
 

Butt on this day we just sat back and admired it from afar. 

Then on our way back I found this.

I really don't know what it is, butt it was rather cool sitting way out here.

"Hey MOM what is this?"

Oh the mountains I love.  Sure this was not like our other hikes.  We took it slow, we rested a lot, I could not do or go to some of the places I once did, and it is true that MOM had to carry me the last 100 to 125 yards back to the Subaru (not all at once, she's tuff butt not that tuff).  Butt it was a beautiful dream come true.  And you want to know the best part?
 

THIS!!  Just sittin' with my MOM in the place we love.  Just being together.  If you can't tell that is a big smile on my face and a huge smile on my heart.
Blessings,
Goose





















31 comments:

  1. I's so glad ya got to enjoy a hike - even if it wuz a lil different dan it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Goose! This makes our hearts smile. We need to talk to mom!!

    Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful hike together. It brings joy to our hearts to see you smiling Goose
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have us smiling through tears, Goose. We are so happy for you and your mom that you shared this wonderful adventure together!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. so happy for you and mom, Goose.. this is wonderful news. you are like me, i used to hike all the trails at our preserves for a couple of hours, now i can only do half an hour and much slower. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Goose...our hearts are smiling for you and your MOM. We know how much those hikes meant to you both and we are so happy for you guys that you were able to go on a different kind of hike!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    OH YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Old stickologists don't retire - they just find help &*> what a fabulous outing Goose. Something beautiful indeed! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,,,Goose,,,you really do go on some adventurous hikes,,,,,be careful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goose that sure made us smile this morning. So pleased you enjoy a wonderful hike. Have a serene and easy Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Goose! I'm glad you are getting back to hiking. Two things really helped me enjoy my hikes in my later years. First was a Webmaster harness. This is a special harness with a handle on the back. That way if Mommy found I was having trouble with an obstacle she could help lift and support me. The second was my stroller. The stroller does need at least a crushed rock trail to work, but it was great because I could ride to some of the farther away places I wanted to hike and get out and walk once I was there, Here are their links:

    http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2

    http://www.amazon.com/Doggyhut-Trailer-Bicycle-Carrier-7030201/dp/B00B56NU78/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426420375&sr=1-1&keywords=doggyhut+large+pet+bike+trailer

    --Merlin at The Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is exactly what was needed - short walks are better than no walks and sitting and admiring the view is just as good as exploring it - maybe you Mom needs one of those walkin wagons like Frankie and Earnie have - that way if you get tired you can pop in the wagon for a ride to the car.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bro that was wonderful to hiking with you, I enjoyed YOUR place too... it's great to sit there and to enjoy the fresh smells in the air and the nature. Oh and you are still the best stick rescuer ever, bro. Chapeau. Your mom is the best mom that she brought you back to the car... my mom is not strong enough to be a Weimaraner Taxi, that's the reason and not that I turned into a manatee:o)
    have a great sunday bro!
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so, so, so happy that you found a way to enjoy your favourite spot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How absolutely wonderful, Goose, that you and your Mom were able to enjoy this special place and stick-finding adventures together!

    Woofs,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  15. WE LOVE THIS Goose.... it is FABULOUS to see you and your mom out doing what you both LOVE doing together... A nice BEAUTIFUL hike together... what could be better??? AND you got to save some sticks!!!! WAY to GO Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're happy you got out for a hike today. Take it easy though we don't want you breaking your mother from having to carry you too much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just cuz somebody gets older does not mean they have to give up the things that give them joy! You just need to adapt to the current situation. Thanks for sharing an important lesson!

    Your Pals,

    MURPHY AND STANLEY

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pawsome,best way to to do these things is take you time and plenty of breaks!Yippee!xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Goose I'm so glad you and your Mom got out into the wild! Slower is fine as long as you get outside. What a pretty place and I surely wish I could have been splashing around in that water with you. Great stick saving. BOL Thanks for letting us see the pix of your great time.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Police Commish

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Goose what a beautiful day you had. Seeing you out there makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goose, that looks just perfect! You got to go on your hike - you just enjoyed different aspects of it! That is fabulous! We love all the photos - especially your smiling face! That says a ton!
    Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am smiling so widely that I might crack my face!!! I'm so glad you did this. And I second Merlyn's mom's suggestion about the webmaster harness. I think that we might have an extra one - it was sized to fit a ~50-60 lb Lab. If you're interested, I could send it (email me at kynabear5 at gmail). It makes it very easy to help a Goose who is getting tired or just needs a boost over an obstacle.

    I really smiled about your mom saving those two sticks for you.

    The best part is just sitting and soaking up the world *together*, the two of you. That's what it's all about - still finding little ways to do the things that you two have loved together for all these years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've lifted our hearts up today Goose just reading about your beautiful hike with Mom.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful way to spend quality, loving time with your Mama!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see Beautiful each time i visit your post.
    We are so happy you got to do a little hike with your mom.
    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bless your mom for taking you on the hike, getting your sticks, and carrying you when you needed help getting back to the car. And bless you, sweet Goose.

    ReplyDelete
  27. GOOSE WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST. OH MY GOODNESS MOM'S EYES ARE LEAKING AT ALL THE GORGEOUS PICTURES OF YOU FULFILLING A DREAM WITH THE HELP OF FRIENDS. BLESS YOUR HEART YOU DID VERY WELL ON YOUR HIKE WITH YOUR DEVOTED MOM BY YOUR SIDE THERE TO AID AS NEED BE JUST AS YOU HAVE DONE FOR HER SO MANY TIMES
    HUGS MADI YOUR BFFF

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh GOOSE! I am so so SO happy for you that you found a way to enjoy your hikes with your MOM again. Momma got a little leaky-eyed reading the post and seeing your big wonderful SMILE the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh GOOSE! I am so so SO happy for you that you found a way to enjoy your hikes with your MOM again. Momma got a little leaky-eyed reading the post and seeing your big wonderful SMILE the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Goose this makes my Mom's heart sing with joy and me purr with happiness!
    Love
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Y'all,

    Sometimes it's the little together times that matter most.

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete